Thursday, August 26, 2010

Wake up and smell the espresso

After being back in the states for a while I realize how amazing my time in Italy really was. I never realized how lucky I was until I moved away. Now isn't that the truth... you never know what you've got until its gone.

I never found anything special about my living situation and I could not for the life of me understand why anyone would want to go see so many crumbly old buildings. My family would hosts guests from the US from time to time and we would always go out and show them the famous sites, such as the Colosseum, St. Peters, or the Catacombs. I however, would have much rather rode my bike around the apartment complexes than tour such a historical city. Its just like the chorus in that Steven Curtis Chapman song, See The Glory

I'm playing Gameboy sitting in the middle of the Grand Canyon
Or eating candy sitting at a gourmet feast
Or wading in a puddle when I could be swimming in the ocean
Tell me what's the deal with me
Wake up and see the glory

Hmm I wonder what is the deal with me... It seems like a lot of people settle for a weak little substitute when they could have the real thing. I mean what's the deal with Guitar Hero? Sure its fun and slightly more addicting than heroine, but why not go out and play a real musical instrument? We just don't realize what we could be experiencing. I personally have to take a look around and make the most of what I've got or else I'll look back on my life and think that I should have paid more attention or taken advantage of certain opportunities. I don't want to take for granted all the blessings that I've got.

2 comments:

  1. You said it, Eric. I miss real Italian caffe, a true pizza Margherita and riding my Vesta on a warm summer's day along la Baia di Napoli. I miss being in Rome during the World Cup and hearing the whole city roar every time Italy scored a goal. I miss meeting friends in downtown Naples and going out for caffe. How can it be 10 years since we left? Some day I hope we can go back for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I really want to go back someday and revisit everything that I didn't appreciate all that much before.

    ReplyDelete