Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fame?

Pastor's kids (PKs) are the celebrities of the churchgoing community. Everybody knows this kid and at least a little about his background. Why??? Because dad goes up to the podium every Sunday and has some incredible (or embarrassing) story to tell about his kids. You know, he's proud of us and wants to share, especially if it has a connection to what he will be speaking about over the next forty five minutes. Gotta get the audience connected. Other PKs can back me up here.

A couple years ago I walked into our church for the second service as people were leaving from the earlier 9:00 gathering. I strolled in through those double doors and promptly received a few high fives and a "nice job Eric!". So I was like... huh? What's going on? BUT NO ONE WOULD TELL ME! Sheesh, they knew more about my life than I did! Finally I figured it out when me dad began to speak and told about the time I had stopped a car from bouncing around a parking lot when it's E-brake failed. This is just one example but illustrates how pastor's kids live in a glass box! Anything I've done could be dad's next illustration, either good or bad. I've got to watch my back... make sure no one knows about my secret life of crime! Aaaah well maybe not. Dad's good about the stories he chooses anyway.

Being a PK presents other weird situations, such as the One-Sided Conversation. It goes like this... I walk to my seat when I bump into someone who looks vaguely familiar who then says, "Hey Eric, how's school going?"
I think, do I know this person? Think man think! I met him at that potluck last month! What was his name!? So my only choice is to awkwardly answer any and all questions in this very one-sided conversation,
"Schools good... yup graduating next year... uh huh college graduation."
Then it ends with, "It was good talking with ya Eric".
"Yeah uh... you too... sir."
Super weird! Everybody knows me, but I most certainly do not know everybody. And that is why I am a celebrity to the churchgoing community. Maybe a little stretch, but you get the idea. Oh well, I guess I've just got that many more opportunities to meet new people...

No comments:

Post a Comment