Saturday, September 18, 2010

Italian Passion and Pride

Italy shoots on goal
Italians seem to have a little more passion for the things they love than most other people I have met. Whether it is related to food, family, or national pride, Italians will not fail to be enthusiastic. National pride is a huge deal every four years when a little event called the World Cup is held. I remember this enthusiasm the best in the 1998 World Cup. Even though Italy didn't even make it to the finals, the people cheered like it was every single game they played. It does not even compare to what we do in America during the Super Bowl, or even the Olympics. The Italians were obsessive about their "football" team.

Italians Celebrate
I remember hanging out in front of my house in Naples playing with my friend and his cousin. We had a radio going so that we could hear the highlights of the game. No one was left out of the loop, not even us 9 and 10 year old kids. Then we paused, hearing the announcer getting excited we leaned closer to the radio set. He was speaking Italian faster than a country auctioneer! Then he suddenly said it! "GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!" It was probably the best 15 seconds an Italian could possibly listen to. And in the middle of his elongated verbiage, all of Italy erupted into a joyous outcry of excitement and pride! I mean they let loose! If you had a voice, you cranked it to full volume, and if you were sitting in your car, you would stop and lay on the horn. People jumped, they cried, they fell over... and this wasn't even the finals.

I sure wish I could have seen the reaction in Italy when they won the 2006 World Cup. I'm sure that would have been a sight to remember. I doubt that anyone got any sleep the night after their 2006 victory... whether they wanted it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment